BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to delete backups? + Benefit of incremental backups?

2009-01-09 05:32:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to delete backups? + Benefit of incremental backups?
From: Thomas Birnthaler <tb AT ostc DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 11:29:27 +0100
A lot of thank to everybody which answered my questions
which have been asked a lot of times, sorry :-(.

I've learned from your answers that my model of BackupPC storage of full and
incremental backups was too weak and that it's too dangerous to delete
backups by hand. So we won't do that.

The script http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net/How+to+delete+backups for
deleting you mentioned I already found. But it deleted full + all dependant
incremental backups which wasn't what we wanted.

Some wanted to know, what were the reasons for my question. So here we are:

1. Problem: Accidential backup of huge files and directories (e.g. DVD-Images,
backups done by a second tool we haven't been told) because some users do
things they shouldn't do. These fill up the BackupPC backup-Space and it
doesn't make any sense to keep them. In one case we reached the limit of 95%
and BackupPC didn't do any backups then (which is a good behaviour!).

True, this is a configuration problem! But if you detect it after the backup
happened, how do you free the space then? My solution was to set the file
size to zero by hand, but keep all the hardlinks. This is manageable for some
files, but not very easy for 100 or more.

2. Problem: Incremental backups take much longer time than full backups
(weekly full and daily incremental) on two of the networks we manage.

Some answered that this should not happen. But some answered that this could
happen depending on machine, memory, network and so on. So no real answer to
that, we have to investigate it further. If we find a reason for that
problem, I will post it.

Again, answers from all of you were very helpful!

Thomas Birnthaler
--
OSTC Open Source Training and Consulting GmbH / HRB Nuernberg 20032
tel +49 911-3474544 / fax +49 911-1806277 / http://www.ostc.de