BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] missing rdev on device...

2009-01-08 21:44:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] missing rdev on device...
From: Tim Connors <tconnors AT astro.swin.edu DOT au>
To: backuppc <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 13:43:04 +1100 (EST)
On Wed, 24 Dec 2008, Holger Parplies wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Glassfox wrote on 22.12.2008 at 16:50:24 [[BackupPC-users]  missing rdev on
> device...]:
> > I tried a complete restore on my localhost (which also runs BackupPC) today
> > and got a lot of error messages like this:
> >
> > "2008-12-22 21:54:23 localhost: File::RsyncP::FileList::encode: missing
> > rdev on device file dev/initctl"
> >
> > Any idea what's wrong here?
>
> this is weird.

Bugger, I'm in need of restoring my filesystem and I just came across
this.  It issued a few of these messages, then seems to have paused, with
rsync or backuppc not showing any activity according to strace.  Dunno
whether the incorrect handling of the pipe caused the susequent pause.
I'm restoring to blank partitions, so it's not like it's blocking on
writing to a pipe on the remote filesystem, since the pipe doesnt exist
yet.  Note that in my debugging, I have blown away the temporary partition
I created, so I can't verify whether it had actually created the pipe yet
(one suspects not, if Rsync.pm couldn't handle it).

> 1.) /dev/initctl is a named pipe. There is no point in *restoring* a named
>     pipe, because you can't "restore" the process listening "on the other
>     end". You might still want to back up named pipes, for the sake of
>     having an exact image of your file system for reference or auditing
>     purposes.

Sure you want to restore named pipes (I think you're thinking of sockets).
Named pipes are pipes on the filesystem that haev a static name.  They can
be created temporarily by processes to communicate with another process
(but what's the point, that could have just passed over file descriptors
to a socket), or they can be pipes that you keep around that are
persistent over processes restarting (I first used pipes about 10 years
ago to have a music daemon that could block on a pipe until some reader
came along.  The first pipes backuppc came across when trying to
restore my current system was a pipe I created a few months ago in order
to work around limitations of a script I was using that wouldnt write to
stdout or /dev/stdout, but would write to a named pipe.

/dev/initctl for instance always exists in /dev.  If you want to restore
/dev, then you have to be able to handle named pipes.

Also, rsync is able to read and write named pipes.  It probably is -D, but
in order to restore a filesystem, you need to use -D.

>     Did all of the error messages refer to named pipes?

2009-01-09 12:47:11 gamow: File::RsyncP::FileList::encode: missing rdev on
device file tconnors/.config/gxine/socket
2009-01-09 12:47:11 gamow: File::RsyncP::FileList::encode: missing rdev on
device file tconnors/.signature
2009-01-09 12:47:11 gamow: File::RsyncP::FileList::encode: missing rdev on
device file
tconnors/movies/a2k/handlebar_mounted_SSO_blackburnhill_return/intermediate1.mpg
2009-01-09 12:47:11 gamow: File::RsyncP::FileList::encode: missing rdev on
device file
tconnors/movies/a2k/handlebar_mounted_SSO_blackburnhill_return/intermediate2.mpg

They are named pipes on the system that was backed up and is trying to be
restored to.

> 2.) As far as I understand the complaining code (FileList/FileList.xs in the
>     source of File::RsyncP), it is interpreting the file as a device, not
>     a pipe. Might this be related to the "-D" option syntax change in rsync
>     2.6.7? Has anyone successfully tested backing up and restoring named
>     pipes?

Backing up has never complained.  The file exists as an empty file in the
full backup.
Dunno how to parse the attrib file.

in FileList/rsync.h,
#define IS_DEVICE(mode) (S_ISCHR(mode) || S_ISBLK(mode) || S_ISSOCK(mode)
|| S_ISFIFO(mode))

> What rsync commands are run for backup and for restore? You can find them in
> the XferLOG and RestoreLOG files ...

I'm restoring from an incremental backup:
backup:
incr backup started back to 2008-12-25 15:00:01 (backup #14) for
directory /home
Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l backuppc gamow sudo /usr/bin/rsync
--server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links
--hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive
--one-file-system --checksum-seed=32761 . /home/
restore:
Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l backuppc gamow sudo /usr/bin/rsync
--server --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links
--hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --relative
--ignore-times --recursive --checksum-seed=32761 . /mnt/

--
TimC
MacOSX: Sort of like a pedigree persian cat. Very sleek, very