BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to delete backups? + Benefit of incremental backups?

2009-01-08 18:43:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to delete backups? + Benefit of incremental backups?
From: Thomas Birnthaler <tb AT ostc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 00:41:26 +0100
Wow Tino,

your faster anwering than I'm able to question ;-)

> Your web view would become inconsistent (e.g. deleted files becoming
> visible again).
Ok, this seems to be a case we forgot ;-(
But if this doesn't matter to us, is it then okay to delete any backup?
Do the GUI and the creation of new backups work and don't throw errors?

By the way: How are deleted files represented?
I argue they are just missing in the respective backup hardlink tree.
So if you delete the backup hardlink tree, the "holes" disappear?

> > In both cases only changed/new files use disk space according to the
> > hardlink concept of BackupPC.
>
> Yes. Fulls need some more space because they are completely filled, that
> is, all directories contain hardlinks to all the files, whereas
> incrementals only contain hardlinks to new and changed files -
> filesystem-wise they've got holes which are filled by the CGI.
But this is just management space (directories and their dentries) --- which
uses of course some inode and data space. No additional data space and inode
space is needed for the real files in full backups compared to a incremental
backup. Is that correct?

If this is the case we think about doing full backups all the time.
So deletion of backups is ok then too.

> > We have also detected, that in some cases incremental backups need much
> > more time than full backups (factor 3-5) This sounds odd to us.
>
> What transfer method are you using?
rsync over GBit networks between Linux machines and also between MacOS
machines. In both cases that effect happens.

Thomas Birnthaler
--
OSTC Open Source Training and Consulting GmbH / HRB Nuernberg 20032
tel +49 911-3474544 / fax +49 911-1806277 / http://www.ostc.de