BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Archiving

2008-12-28 13:47:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Archiving
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 11:44:33 -0700
I use BackupPC_tarcreate and pull the backup off.  These can be 12-15GB.  I then run this through rar and set a chunk size of 50MB.  These usually compress down to 6-7GB of 50MB RAR files.  I then par2 them to fill the remaining space in the media I'm using just to be safe.  I just did a little script-fu with dialog to make a wizard for this process.  RAR files are readable on any major OS as well as par2 tools like quickpar.   The tar file is readable in 7zip, winrar, cnu tar, etc etc.

On some archives I also use a fuse program archivemount to mount up the tar archive and then delete files out in case some extra directory copies were leff handing around.  It really just creates a batch of things to do after unmounting but it is more convinient than extracting the archive, then archiving it up again.