BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Backup from BackupPC Server - which method?

2008-12-28 16:15:35
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Backup from BackupPC Server - which method?
From: Chris88 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 11:47:24 -0500
Hi,

I know that this topic is discussed a lot of in this forum.
But it is very important, so I think it can´t be discussed too much.

I´m searching now a few days on the web, to find the best method to backup the
backuppc server. The external storage should be able to boot from.

1. Add a 3rd Device to the exisiting SoftRaid1. In this method my mdadm monitor
will always sent an error message for the Raid. So it isn´t the best, I think.

2. Make a snapshot from the filesystem with LVM and copy it with dd to an
external esata drive. But I read about problems with grub?!

My requirement is that if the two HDDs in the Server fail, I can boot from the
external drive without much work.

My questions are:
- What is the safer method?
- Which method is better for the pool?
- What do you think, which method I should prefer with 3x 1TB HDDs?

Best regards,
Christoph