BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Archiving

2008-12-28 06:15:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Archiving
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 12:12:32 +0100
On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 08:07:40PM +0000, Edward Parker wrote:

> I've Backuppc working fine without any probs on a handful of domestic
> PCs. The data isn't commercially vital, but obviously of significant
> personal value - family photos, homework, accounts, exam preparation
> stuff, etc, etc for other family members.
> I can Backuppc archive onto DVD, but these are not in a form that is
> easily available to other family members.
> What I'd like to be able to do is to produce archives in such a way as
> to be able to point others at a set of DVDs that they can usefully use,
> even after I've fallen under a bus (say).......
> Ideal would be in an uncompressed format, even readable on a Windows PC
> without any zipping. This may not be economic in terms of space/discs,
> but important to me in terms of why I want to do this.

If I remember correctly, you can configure the archiving to create
uncompressed .tar files or even .zip. Both are recognized by every
state-of-the-art archiving tool for Windows (e.g. FilZip). Burning these
to DVDs is another issue and cannot be automated easily because of disk
changes etc. You might want to consider to just plug in an USB harddrive
(I've seen 1 TB external drives for about 130 Euro recently!) and move
the archives there.

HTH,

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de