BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Archiving

2008-12-27 15:48:59
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Archiving
From: Edward Parker <edward AT albany.me DOT uk>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 20:07:40 +0000
Hi all.

I've Backuppc working fine without any probs on a handful of domestic
PCs. The data isn't commercially vital, but obviously of significant
personal value - family photos, homework, accounts, exam preparation
stuff, etc, etc for other family members.
I can Backuppc archive onto DVD, but these are not in a form that is
easily available to other family members.
What I'd like to be able to do is to produce archives in such a way as
to be able to point others at a set of DVDs that they can usefully use,
even after I've fallen under a bus (say).......
Ideal would be in an uncompressed format, even readable on a Windows PC
without any zipping. This may not be economic in terms of space/discs,
but important to me in terms of why I want to do this.

Although I can produce these after a few manual and time consuming
steps, as with everything involving backups, if it is possible to this
by a few simple steps it'll get done more often and not put off till
it's too late.

Is this possible with current versions?
Has anyone done anything similar in the past?

Although not a coder, I'm happy enough with fairly complicated config
items.

Cheers