BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Archiving

2008-12-27 21:00:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Archiving
From: tmassey AT obscorp DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 20:43:38 -0500
Edward Parker <edward AT albany.me DOT uk> wrote on 12/27/2008 03:07:40 PM:

> What I'd like to be able to do is to produce archives in such a way as
> to be able to point others at a set of DVDs that they can usefully use,
> even after I've fallen under a bus (say).......
> Ideal would be in an uncompressed format, even readable on a Windows PC
> without any zipping. This may not be economic in terms of space/discs,
> but important to me in terms of why I want to do this.

There is AFAIK no way of doing this within BackupPC.  The closest you're
gonna get is a tar file.  For what you're looking for, I would say you're
better off with a different tool.  Either look into something like Delta
Copy or Clonezilla Live depending on whether you want the *data* to be
instantly available, or the *system* to be instantly recoverable.

If a TAR file is good enough, I would recommend simply using the
currently-built BackupPC GUI interface to archive to a USB drive.  I use
IDE drives in a removable tray to accomplish the same thing, with the
archives launched by a simple cron job.  I'm never expecting that a
clueless (or even "power") user is going to make sense of the archives,
but I *would* expect an even remotely-competent IT professional to do just
fine.  And in that case, all I'm after is the data.  I also have a
separate Clonezilla Live archive for different contingencies.

Tim Massey