BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] sshd on client?

2008-12-27 21:01:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] sshd on client?
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>, gayleard AT eircom DOT net
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 02:58:34 +0100
Hi,

Les Mikesell wrote on 2008-12-27 17:05:07 -0600 [Re: [BackupPC-users] sshd on
client?]:
> >> Yes, although it wouldn't work if you didn't also do it right.  You can
> >> have as many different keypairs as you like.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you are saying.
>
> I'm saying that making keypairs on the client won't break anything, but
> they also aren't going to allow backuppc to work.
>
> [...]
> > My humble suggestion is that you consider using the terms
> > "BackupPC server" and "BackupPC client", which to my mind are unambiguous.
>
> You don't seem to get the point that ssh can run any command, starting
> as any user and running as any user on another machine,
> [...]
> > Is it not possible that running "ssh -l root <client>" on the server
> > actually sets up the connection appropriately for BackupPC?
>
> No, it should ask for a password if it doesn't find matching keys.

or, more clearly, no, it is completely impossible. It's *exactly* the same as
asking "isn't it possible that if I try to login as the backuppc user, the
computer will print out the password I need to complete the procedure?".

You see, that is the benefit of actually *understanding* what is happening.
You appreciate what of what you did was nonsense and what was necessary. You
should never give instructions without that understanding, because you will be
doing harm.

It seems I need to repeat what I've already pointed out one last time. Without
a (passwordless) private key in backuppc_server:~backuppc/.ssh/id* and the
corresponding public key in backuppc_client:~whoever/.ssh/authorized_keys*
automatic backups with transfer <something> over "ssh -l whoever" *won't work*.
Period.
Additionally putting other keypairs elsewhere won't impair that but *will
compromise security*. End of transmission.

Regards,
Holger