BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] sshd on client?

2008-12-27 12:58:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] sshd on client?
From: "Nils Breunese (Lemonbit)" <nils AT lemonbit DOT com>
To: gayleard AT eircom DOT net, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 18:56:30 +0100
Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) wrote:
>
>>> Sorry, /etc/BackupPC/config.pl is 2165 lines long.
>>> I've no intention of reading that.
>>> Life is too short.
>>
>> If you're serious about doing backups, I recommend you really read
>> through the configuration. I read all of it and afterwards I
>> understood a lot more about how BackupPC works, what it's doing
>> exactly and what kind of things can be changed and tweaked.
>
> You are a guru.
> I am just a newbie user.
> I feel I am inundated with far too much information.
> My RAM is full.
> I want to learn the minimum necessary to play music on my laptop.
> run BackupPC, etc.
> I don't want to tweak anything, unless that is essential.
> I assume the distributor has done that for me,
> and I haven't been disappointed so far with CentOS-5.2 in this regard.

You keep bringing up CentOS like it's a complete counterpart of
BackupPC. I use both CentOS and BackupPC and have used both long
enough to be able to say with confidence that both have a lot of knobs
to tweak. Surely the distributor is doing its best to deliver a nice
experience, but some tools (like both CentOS and BackupPC as far as
I'm concerned) just have too many knobs and switches to satisfy every
level of requirements a user can have out of the box.

You talk about BackupPC like it's logical that it is configured
exactly for your needs. But you just seem to want to play a little
music and have backups. That's fine, but other people are using
BackupPC in an enterprise situation with large RAID storage arrays.
Some people backup mostly Windows machines, some people backup no
Windows machines. Some backup their machine to a local drive, some
backup racks of servers over the internet. There are just a lot of
situations where BackupPC can be put to use, but that also means
there'll be some configuring to do. Your definition of 'essential'
might just be very different from someone else's.

I know BackupPC's web interface is pretty shiny, but maybe you're just
looking for a tool that has less knobs and switches. Check out rdiff-
backup for instance. It's not that I'm trying to scare you away from
using BackupPC, I'm just trying to help and hope that you can have
some understanding for why BackupPC is like the way it is.

Nils Breunese.