BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc 3.0.0: another xfs problem?

2008-12-20 14:49:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc 3.0.0: another xfs problem?
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 12:47:33 -0700
true enough.

I have been doing a lot of expirimentation with opensolaris and zfs for backuppc.  It is a bit of a pain getting backuppc working on opensolaris, specifically CPAN stuff.

I am still in testing  but ZFS seems to be an ideal filesystem for backuppc.  SUN claims that it is essentially bulletproof.  I want to see for myself.  I am now running this test setup on 10 seagate sata 7200.11 disks in a single pool.  I turn on light compression using lzof to maintain performance.  This setup performs very very well and is in a raidz2 which is similar to raid6.

I still run ext3 on my primary backup server and wont be changeing that unless ZFS works out or ext4,btfs,tux3 get to market and are stable.

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 10:13:08AM -0700, dan wrote:

> If the disk usage is the same as before the pool, the issue isnt hardlinks
> not being maintained.  I am not convinced that XFS is an ideal filesystem.
> I'm sure it has it's merits, but I have lost data on 3 filesystems ever,
> FAT*, XFS and NTFS.  I have never lost data on reiserfs3 or ext2,3.

I've lost data on reiserfs, but it's been a while ago. I've been using
XFS for my BackupPC pool for about 2 years now and it's performance is
okay (the pool used to be reiserfs). Since I also changed hardware, I
cannot compare 1:1. Perceived performance of XFS vs. reiserfs is about
the same.

> I say switch back to ext3.

Which isn't that easy given a reasonably large BackuPC pool...

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.craniosacralzentrum.de