BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc 3.0.0: another xfs problem?

2008-12-18 13:28:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc 3.0.0: another xfs problem?
From: "Paul Mantz" <pcmantz AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:19:45 -0800
Hello Thomas,

Did the BackupPC_nightly jobs take 22 hours on the 17th as well?  If
they didn't, I would suspect that since you restored the TopDir from a
tarball, that the hardlinking wasn't handled correctly in the tar
compression.  BackupPC_nightly would have been re-establishing the
de-duplication between the pc/ and pool/ directories all in one go,
which could reasonably take that long.

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 8:25 AM, Thomas Smith <thomathom AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running BackupPC 3.0.0 under Ubuntu.  I'm having problems similar
> to the ones some people have had with 3.1.0 on XFS, but I also did
> some other odd things before this started happening, so I want to
> relate the whole scenario, in case I did something else to break it.
>
> I accidentally corrupted the filesystem /var/lib/backuppc lived on.
> Luckily, I had a backup of the backup filesystem (which contains about
> 700GB of compressed data), just a giant tarball of the whole thing,
> sitting on another server.  It was from a couple weeks ago.  So I blew
> away the old (ext3) volume from my LVM volume group and put a new XFS
> filesystem in its place, then I extracted the tarball, giving me a
> several-week-old snapshot of BackupPC.  Then I just started BackupPC
> up again.  Now, BackupPC_nightly takes a zillion years to run:
>
> 2008-12-16 01:00:01 Running 2 BackupPC_nightly jobs from 0..15 (out of 0..15)
> 2008-12-16 01:00:01 Running BackupPC_nightly -m 0 127 (pid=7491)
> 2008-12-16 01:00:01 Running BackupPC_nightly 128 255 (pid=7492)
> [...]
> 2008-12-16 23:11:42 Finished  admin1  (BackupPC_nightly 128 255)
> 2008-12-16 23:12:42 BackupPC_nightly now running BackupPC_sendEmail
> 2008-12-16 23:12:45 Finished  admin  (BackupPC_nightly -m 0 127)
>
> It used to take about an hour, now it takes 22 hours.
>
> I found mailing list threads about similar problems in 3.1.0, but they
> seemed to have to do with IO::Dirent.pm, which isn't even installed on
> my system.  Should I update to 3.1.0 and then install the patch for
> the Dirent problem?  Or is it maybe not an XFS bug, and I did
> something wrong when I restored the BackupPC filesystem?  Something
> else?
>
> Thank you for your help,
> -Thomas
>
> --