BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Project Cuba announcement, was: What is the latest on acl backup for Windows (and selinux)?

2008-11-26 10:42:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Project Cuba announcement, was: What is the latest on acl backup for Windows (and selinux)?
From: Achim J. Latz <achim+backuppc AT qustodium DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 16:39:51 +0100
Good day:

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 13:02:42 -0600, Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
wrote:
> [..]
> It's a nice touch to glue all this together into an appliance, but do
> you have any documentation or helpful hints about adding the extra
> features into an existing backuppc installation?

This is one of the ideas we are working on: have an appliance for new user
convenience, but also have the "change set" available for existing BackupPC
installations. In the end, most of the changes are done at the
configuration level. I will report back when this becomes available.

> One approach that sort-of works is to use clonezilla to make image
> backups of windows hosts periodically.  These can be restored quickly to
> give a running machine where you can drop in the more current backuppc
> backup - but there is obviously overhead in time to do this and in
> storage space for the extra copy.  I've always thought that a small
> amount of scripting might make it possible to skip the image save.  That
> is, you'd need to run something on the target machines to save the
> partition/filesystem layout and boot sector into a file that backuppc
> would store in a form that clonezilla could use, then add code to
> clonezilla to recreate the filesystems and dump the tar image from
> backuppc onto it.  With the support for locked files, acls, and some
> registry hacks, this should work for windows too.

This is a great idea. At the moment, we are using the technique to describe
for DR - images, then restore from BackupPC to the latest point.

We would like to be able to do it all in one step, just like you describe,
without the need to have physical media for the DR, except for the base
system that we need on the target host to start the restore, of course.

Do you have any suggestions as to what kind of software could be used for
partition/filesystem layout and boot sector, apart from dd? We discovered
mbrsave and mbrrestore [1], is anybody here familiar with them?

[1] http://jesusnjim.com/code/mbrsaverestore.html