BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] What is the latest on acl backup for Windows (and selinux)?

2008-11-25 09:39:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] What is the latest on acl backup for Windows (and selinux)?
From: Rob Owens <rob.owens AT biochemfluidics DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:36:06 -0500
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> Nicholas Hall wrote at about 18:46:35 -0600 on Monday, November 24, 2008:
>  > On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 4:41 PM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky
>  > <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>wrote:
>  >
>  > > Nicholas Hall wrote at about 15:27:48 -0600 on Monday, November 24, 2008:
>  > >  > On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource
> DOT com>
>  > > wrote:
>  > >  >
>  > >  > > The registry is another tricky part.  You may need parts relating to
>  > >  > > what you are restoring, but if you aren't going back to exactly the
>  > > same
>  > >  > > machine/environment you may not want all of it.
>  > >  > >
>  > >  >
>  > >  > I've got all my win32 boxes doing a local NTbackup to disk which
>  > > BackupPC
>  > >  > picks up.  It's kinda a pain but works.
>  > >  >
>  > > What do you mean by that? I'm not sure I understand how that is
>  > > different. Please explain if you don't mind.
>  > >
>  >
>  > Referring to backing up the registry.  NTBackup which comes standard on
>  > Windows can backup "System State" via VSS which includes the registry and
>  > also system32 I believe.  NTBackup dumps out a .bkf file which I have
>  > BackupPC grabbing.
>
> OK. I think I am beginning to understand (I don't know much about
> Windows).
> Could you just clarify that I am understanding correctly ;)
>
> - It seems like all the files that I wasn't able to back up because
>   they are "locked" are actually critical things like the Registry
>   (i.e. NTUSER.DAT)
> - NTBackup uses VSS to dump these locked files to a readable file
> - You then use BackupPC to backup that file.
>
> Is there any reason I couldn't add a command to run NTBackup to my
> "DumpPreUserCmd" and have it write out the backup file to a fixed
> place on my windows machine?

You'd have to be able to log in remotely and execute the command.  That
will require ssh or something similar, and knowledge of how to launch
that command from the command line (unless you know another way of doing
it -- I don't).

> Also, I assume I could just write the file to the Windows machine
> itself so that BackupPC would pick it up automatically.

Yes you could.  Depending on how long it takes to run NTBackup, this
might actually be a better method than running it under DumpPreUserCmd
-- it won't tie up the BackupPC machine while NTBackup is running.

-Rob

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.