BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] What is the latest on acl backup for Windows (and selinux)?

2008-11-24 12:47:41
Subject: [BackupPC-users] What is the latest on acl backup for Windows (and selinux)?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 12:45:19 -0500
I am looking to backup acls for Windows so that restored files get
their acl back (I just had to restore 3 files and it was a pita to fix
their acls). Similarly, I run selinux and it would be nice to have the
extended attributes recorded to.

Since rsync can sync both extended attributes and acls, it would seem
that one could patch perl-File-RsyncP and then add the attributes (if
present) to the relevant attrib file. Such a method would seem to be
very consistent with the current approach without being at all
kludgey.

I would think that with such a fix, Backup would then be able to do
full restores for *both* Windows and SELinux. I know this is true for
Linux but I am assuming that for Windows files + ownership + acl data
= full backup (is that true???? -- i.e is there nothing else hidden in
the ntfs file system structure that we would need to restore).

The only missing pieces on a windows backup would be files that are
busy but in my case that is only the hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys, and
several lock files -- none of which are necessary (or maybe even
desirable) for a full restore.