BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems backing up Windows XP over rsyncd

2008-11-06 18:31:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems backing up Windows XP over rsyncd
From: Cody Dunne <cdunne AT cs.umd DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 18:28:19 -0500
Hi Heinrich,

Heinrich Christian Peters wrote:
 > Hello Cody,
 >
 > Am 06.11.2008 21:22, Cody Dunne schrieb:
 >> Heinrich Christian Peters <Heinrich-Peters AT nurfuerspam DOT de> wrote:
 >>> I am using BackupPC (3.1.0-4) on Debian Lenny and cygwin with rsync
 >>> (3.0.4-1) and ssh on Windows XP. I followed this [1] HOWTO (for Win
 >>> 2003). Manual rsync-ing (with & without ssh-tunnel) is working
fine, but

http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net/Workaround+BackupPC+Windows+2003+Hang

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.backup.backuppc.general/16775
 >> I had a lot of difficulty getting rsync to work over ssh for Windows
clients and ended up creating the tunnels beforehand like your [1]. You
can't use the standard rsync over ssh in BackupPC without doing it over
a premade tunnel.

 >> I've been working on an installation guide for XP/Vista from notes
of my process. I wasn't quite ready to share it, but as it might help
you here it is: http://www.cs.umd.edu/~cdunne/projs/backuppc_guide.html

 > I have found your notes before.
I'm amazed you found it already. They've only been online for a few days :)
I tried it, but I can't get it work. I

$locPort:localhost:873 $username@$host -p $sshPort
 >> /bin/sleep 10
 >> exit 0
Are /usr/bin/screen... and /bin/sleep 10 on separate lines? If they are,
then the goal of making the ssh tunnel wait until BackupPC starts isn't
accomplished.

I'm not a Linux expert, so this is possibly irrelevant, but why are you
using /usr/bin/screen -d -m -S tun$host? Is it only for being able to
kill the tunnel easily after the backup? If you do the sleep, I don't
think you need screen or the DumpPostUserCmd you have. The tunnel will
close automatically if BackupPC fails to start or once BackupPC finishes
or fails. I also removed the -q from the ssh command for some reason...
but I don't remember now.
 > (This is actually a combination of your script and the on in [1]) Btw.
 > in your script you have defined a variable username, but you didn't use
 > it for the ssh-command.
Thanks for letting me know! I'd appreciate any other additions/fixes you
come up with.
 > Thanks,
 > Heinrich

Also, I recently changed the exclude lists on my guide to remove
trailing slashes on directories. I was getting problems with really long
temp or cache file names that caused backups to fail silently and I
haven't had the problem since.

My only other ideas for you would be to add -v and and --progress to the
RsyncArgs and run BackupPC_dump like you have been. You could tail
/var/log/rsyncd.log on the client, too.

Perhaps some of the more experienced users here have more insight?

I hope this helps,
Cody