BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems backing up Windows XP over rsyncd

2008-11-07 10:35:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems backing up Windows XP over rsyncd
From: Heinrich Christian Peters <Heinrich-Peters AT nurfuerspam DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 16:31:12 +0100
Hi Cody,

Am 07.11.2008 00:28, Cody Dunne schrieb:
> Heinrich Christian Peters wrote:
>  > The relevant conifg:
>  >> $Conf{ClientNameAlias} = 'localhost';
>  >> $Conf{RsyncdClientPort} = '10012';
>  >> $Conf{DumpPreUserCmd} = '/etc/backuppc/buildtun $name 22 10012';
>  >> $Conf{DumpPostUserCmd}= '/usr/bin/pkill -u backuppc -f tun$name';
>  >> $Conf{RestorePreUserCmd} = '/etc/backuppc/buildtun $name 22 10012';
>  >> $Conf{RestorePostUserCmd}= '/usr/bin/pkill -u backuppc -f tun$name';
>  >> $Conf{PingCmd} = 'ping -c 1 -w 3 $name';
>  >
>  > with /etc/backuppc/buildtun
>  >> #!/bin/bash
>  >> host=$1
>  >> sshPort=$2
>  >> locPort=$3
>  >> remPort=873
>  >> username=backup
>  >>
>  >> /usr/bin/screen -d -m -S tun$host /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -L
> $locPort:localhost:873 $username@$host -p $sshPort
>  >> /bin/sleep 10
>  >> exit 0
>
> Are /usr/bin/screen... and /bin/sleep 10 on separate lines? If they are,
> then the goal of making the ssh tunnel wait until BackupPC starts isn't
> accomplished.

Yes they are in separate lines. After opening the ssh-connection (a real
shell, but I will change this for the future) the script waits 10sec. If
I remove the "sleep" the connection fails, perhaps the tunnel isn't
really ready?

> I'm not a Linux expert, so this is possibly irrelevant, but why are you
> using /usr/bin/screen -d -m -S tun$host? Is it only for being able to
> kill the tunnel easily after the backup?

Yes, this is the main reason.

> If you do the sleep, I don't think you need screen or the
> DumpPostUserCmd you have. The tunnel will close automatically if
> BackupPC fails to start or once BackupPC finishes or fails.

This wasn't working for me, don't know why. But as I already said - I
don't think, that the ssh-connection is the problem. I can backup my
linux-pc with the same conifg using a ssh-tunnel, too.

> My only other ideas for you would be to add -v and and --progress to the
> RsyncArgs and run BackupPC_dump like you have been. You could tail
> /var/log/rsyncd.log on the client, too.

I added it, no big different. But in the log of the client I found a
strange thing: The clients sends 27 (!) files more to the server than he
receives.

> Perhaps some of the more experienced users here have more insight?
>
> I hope this helps,
> Cody

Thanks!
Heinrich