BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Questions about compression in BackupPC

2008-11-06 22:13:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Questions about compression in BackupPC
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 20:11:24 -0700
Yeah, there is a fuse-zfs port but it is not anwhere near production ready and the freebsd port is not much closer.

Here is an alternative for you.  Nexenta.  It is littlerally debian running an opensolaris kernel.  I think it may actually be more ubuntu than debian but it definitely brings that good debian feel to the system.

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 2:49 PM, John Goerzen <jgoerzen AT complete DOT org> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 02:13:00PM -0700, dan wrote:
> I was trying to do ZFS on freebsd to eliminate the need to have backuppc
> compress the files and instead have ZFS do the work.  I have since moved to
> opensolaris 2008.11 beta as ZFS on freebsd is in alpha quality.  Have you
> considered this approach or are you bound to your current platform for
> backuppc?  ZFS is so perfect for backuppc that it is almost as if they

I have no desire to leave Debian, and ZFS to my knowledge is not
production-ready on any non-Solaris platform.

But thanks for the pointer -- I didn't know ZFS did transparent
compression.

-- John