BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems backing up Windows XP over rsyncd

2008-11-06 17:05:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems backing up Windows XP over rsyncd
From: Heinrich Christian Peters <Heinrich-Peters AT nurfuerspam DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 23:02:53 +0100
Hello Cody,

Am 06.11.2008 21:22, Cody Dunne schrieb:
> Heinrich Christian Peters <Heinrich-Peters AT nurfuerspam DOT de> wrote:
>> I am using BackupPC (3.1.0-4) on Debian Lenny and cygwin with rsync
>> (3.0.4-1) and ssh on Windows XP. I followed this [1] HOWTO (for Win
>> 2003). Manual rsync-ing (with & without ssh-tunnel) is working fine, but
>> using BackupPC hangs randomly (perhaps like [2]?).
>> My backup-user in Windows is member of the group backup-operators (or
>> similar, I am using a German version).
>>
>> [1]
>> http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net/Workaround+BackupPC+Windows+2003+Hang
>> [2]
>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.backup.backuppc.general/16775
>
> I had a lot of difficulty getting rsync to work over ssh for Windows
> clients and ended up creating the tunnels beforehand like your [1]. You
> can't use the standard rsync over ssh in BackupPC without doing it over
> a premade tunnel.
>
> I've been working on an installation guide for XP/Vista from notes of my
> process. I wasn't quite ready to share it, but as it might help you here
> it is: http://www.cs.umd.edu/~cdunne/projs/backuppc_guide.html

I have found your notes before. I tried it, but I can't get it work. I
have problems to connect, but I think there is not a big different
between your method and [1]. The ssh-tunnel is working and I can use the
by "BackupPC_dump -f -v $name" established tunnel for an other
rsync-process.

The relevant conifg:
> $Conf{ClientNameAlias} = 'localhost';
> $Conf{RsyncdClientPort} = '10012';
> $Conf{DumpPreUserCmd} = '/etc/backuppc/buildtun $name 22 10012';
> $Conf{DumpPostUserCmd}= '/usr/bin/pkill -u backuppc -f tun$name';
> $Conf{RestorePreUserCmd} = '/etc/backuppc/buildtun $name 22 10012';
> $Conf{RestorePostUserCmd}= '/usr/bin/pkill -u backuppc -f tun$name';
> $Conf{PingCmd} = 'ping -c 1 -w 3 $name';

with /etc/backuppc/buildtun
> #!/bin/bash
> host=$1
> sshPort=$2
> locPort=$3
> remPort=873
> username=backup
>
> /usr/bin/screen -d -m -S tun$host /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -L
> $locPort:localhost:873 $username@$host -p $sshPort
> /bin/sleep 10
> exit 0

(This is actually a combination of your script and the on in [1]) Btw.
in your script you have defined a variable username, but you didn't use
it for the ssh-command.

Thanks,
Heinrich