BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems backing up Windows XP over rsyncd

2008-11-06 15:24:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems backing up Windows XP over rsyncd
From: Cody Dunne <cdunne AT cs.umd DOT edu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:22:20 -0500
Heinrich Christian Peters <Heinrich-Peters AT nurfuerspam DOT de> wrote:
> I am using BackupPC (3.1.0-4) on Debian Lenny and cygwin with rsync
> (3.0.4-1) and ssh on Windows XP. I followed this [1] HOWTO (for Win
> 2003). Manual rsync-ing (with & without ssh-tunnel) is working fine, but
> using BackupPC hangs randomly (perhaps like [2]?).
> My backup-user in Windows is member of the group backup-operators (or
> similar, I am using a German version).
>
> Is there anybody out there, who successfully using BackupPC to backup
> Windows over rsyncd (with ssh) to give me some hints?
>
> [1]
> http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net/Workaround+BackupPC+Windows+2003+Hang
> [2]
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.backup.backuppc.general/16775

Hi Heinrich,

I had a lot of difficulty getting rsync to work over ssh for Windows
clients and ended up creating the tunnels beforehand like your [1]. You
can't use the standard rsync over ssh in BackupPC without doing it over
a premade tunnel.

I've been working on an installation guide for XP/Vista from notes of my
process. I wasn't quite ready to share it, but as it might help you here
it is: http://www.cs.umd.edu/~cdunne/projs/backuppc_guide.html

Let me know if it helps you!
Cody Dunne