BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] SSH authorization, plus client-initiated backups

2008-11-06 16:11:17
Subject: [BackupPC-users] SSH authorization, plus client-initiated backups
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen AT complete DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 14:52:11 -0600
I've got a couple more questions about setting up BackupPC.

So I will want to backup each filesystem on a client individually, to
its own volume.  To authorize the BackupPC server to connect to the
client and take a backup, I would like to use the authorized_keys
features of limiting the commands to run based on public key so as to
reduce exposure to clients if the host is compromised.  I am using
rdiff-backup now, and it works fairly well with that.

But the command to run will vary based on the filesystem, which rather
nixes that, I think.  I'd have to give the server access to run
whatever command it wants on the client, as root.

Is there a way to push the data from the client, or some alternative
way to restrict access even if backing up multiple filesystems
separately?

Second question...

My clients will not be up 24/7, or necessarily at predictable hours.
I'd like to use anacron on them so I can fire off backups at intervals
when they're up.  Is this possible?