BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] busybox tar problem?

2008-08-22 11:31:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] busybox tar problem?
From: "Ward... James Ward" <jeward AT torzo DOT com>
To: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 08:30:22 -0700
On Aug 21, 2008, at 7:04 PM, Holger Parplies wrote:

Hi,

Ward... James Ward wrote on 2008-08-19 16:02:16 -0700 [Re: [BackupPC-users] busybox tar problem?]:

But here's the problem I'm currently struggling with, here's the
config file for this client:

$Conf{TarClientCmd} = '$sshPath -q -x -n -l backup $host /usr/bin/env
LC_ALL=C /etc/config/users/backup/tarSend -c -v -f - -C $shareName+';
$Conf{PingCmd} = '/usr/local/bin/check_ssh $host';
$Conf{XferMethod} = "tar";
$Conf{BackupFilesOnly} = '/etc';

When the last line contains a '/', I get "no ping response".

That most certainly has nothing to do with the '/', because the ping command
is run long before the tar command line is built. What does
/usr/local/bin/check_ssh contain?

/usr/local/bin/check_ssh is a nagios (binary) plugin that checks for ssh connectivity.  I use it on all my linux boxes as we have ping blocked by the firewall.

When I leave it out, I get "No files dumped for share /".  What gives?

All of it sounds like intermittent network failures. What did you say about
the network? WLAN with 20 m of concrete between machines? Broken
cable/switch/multiport repeater? Arp poisoning device? When did this problem
start? What piece of hardware (or software) did you change shortly before?
What does a simple 'ping' say (when run for a while)? A flood ping? A command
line rsync (or tar ... "ssh -l backup $host tar cf - / > /dev/null")?

Well, I'd like to think it was that simple, but the network is 1G ethernet hard wired.  And these results are 100% repeatable.  I gave up and am just running a tar via cron.

Regards,
Holger