BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Wiki instructions for installing/upgrading on Ubuntu 8.04.

2008-08-17 14:31:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Wiki instructions for installing/upgrading on Ubuntu 8.04.
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Paul Schulz" <paul AT mawsonlakes DOT org>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 12:30:53 -0600
you can get a 3.1 package from http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/b/backuppc/backuppc_3.1.0-3ubuntu2_all.deb

you can install this quite easily via

apt-get install sendmail
dpkg -i backuppc_3.1.0-3ubuntu2_all.deb
apt-get -f install
sudo htpasswd /etc/backuppc/htpasswd backuppc
<enter password for sudo.
<enter new password for backuppc>
<retype password>
done

sendmail is not listed in the dependancies for backuppc so you need to install that or postfix which has sendmail emulations and a /usr/bin/sendmail script for that.

you will likely not have all of the deps for the 3.1 deb package so do the apt-get -f install to fix that OR you can use this is X windows

gdebi backuppc*.deb

that will resolve the dependancies for you and you can skip the apt-get -f install.

you will likely get a prompt telling you how to change the backuppc password.

that should do it and you should be functional in about 2 minutes total.

good luck

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 8:42 AM, Paul Schulz <paul AT mawsonlakes DOT org> wrote:
Hi Jon, Holgar,

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:49 PM, Jon Craig <cannedspam.cant AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> It works fine, simply put in the following symbolic link:
>
> cd /var/lib/backuppc
> ln -s /etc/backuppc conf

Thanks.. but.. :-)

I rebuilt the ubuntu package that was available for 'intrepid' for
8.04 and it installed without a hitch. Thee is currently a problem in
the Ubuntu intrepid packaging as the binary package is listed as
3.0.0, but the 3.1.0 source files are available. I think I also
managed to fix my language issue, as that too seems to have gone away.

As a demo, I am using backuppc to backup my laptop locally (to a local
USB drive). This too seems to be going well.. (find out tomorrow
morning.) the only tricky thing was creating and copying ssh keys to
root@localhost.

> Caveat:  While I say it works fine, future upgrades could be
> problematic.  Unless your willing to invest the time to understand the
> inner workings of BackupPC you would be better served to stay with the
> packaged version of 3.0.0 or do a fresh install of 3.1.0 using the
> tarball you downloaded (after removing the 3.0.0 package).

I have some interest in understanding the inner workings of BackupPC.
I'm also happy to have a system installed and working.

Cheers, and thanks,
Paul