BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] scheduled backups won't start

2008-04-24 08:19:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] scheduled backups won't start
From: Micha Silver <micha AT arava.co DOT il>
To: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 15:07:52 +0300
Craig Barratt wrote:
> Micha writes:
>

>> I've been scratching my head over this for more than a week.
>> I have two backup servers running, both on CentOS (64 bit). One has been
>> humming along nicely for several months now, backing up several servers.
>>  The newer one, configured to backup some workstations,  won't start
>>  scheduled backups. I can manually start backups from the cgi interface,
>>  both full and incr, and they run to completion OK. My wakeup time is
>>  12:00 noon, and blackout is from 07:00 to 11:30. In the log I see the
>>  cpool cleanup and the BackupPC_link lines. But no backup, and no email
>>  of failure.

Problem solved-

I managed to trip myself up with the dhcp flag. I had checked dhcp for
each of the hosts but never set  DHCPAddressRanges. So the hosts were
not found (even tho' I had put their IP address in /etc/hosts) and at
wakeup time, BackupPC just skipped the hosts it couldn't locate.

In the docs it is explained clearly:
 1- Check dhcp only for hosts that don't respond to nmblookup
 2- If dhcp is checked you *must* set a DHCPAddressRange

So, since nmblookup did work, I un-checked dhcp for the hosts, and now
all is well.

Conclusion- RTFM more carefully

Maybe some judicious use of bold or red font in the documentation might
have helped to avoid getting caught up on points like this.

Cheers,
Micha

--
Micha Silver