Amanda-Users

RE: TCP Tuning

2009-10-20 13:54:49
Subject: RE: TCP Tuning
From: Alan Griffiths <ap_griffiths AT hotmail DOT com>
To: <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 18:42:55 +0100
In the amandad log from 2.5.0p2 I see the following

amandad: try_socksize: send buffer size is 65536
amandad: try_socksize: receive buffer size is 65536
amandad: time 0.006: bind_portrange2: trying port=757
amandad: time 0.006: stream_server: waiting for connection: 0.0.0.0.45627

...OK, I've just built a 2.5.0p2 client with a larger STERAM_BUFSIZE and now I see this in the amandad log

amandad: try_socksize: send buffer size is 524288
amandad: try_socksize: receive buffer size is 524288
amandad: time 18.040: bind_portrange2: trying port=659
amandad: time 18.040: stream_server: waiting for connection: 0.0.0.0.36030

Unfortunately it does not result in the backup running any faster. I will have a look at hacking amandad.c as you suggest. My fallback option is to NFS mount the directories on the backup server. Would prefer to not to do that, but have to make these backups run quicker one way or another.

Alan

> Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 12:43:24 -0400
> Subject: Re: TCP Tuning
> From: dustin AT zmanda DOT com
> To: ap_griffiths AT hotmail DOT com
> CC: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
>
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Alan Griffiths
> <ap_griffiths AT hotmail DOT com> wrote:
> > dumper: try_socksize: send buffer size is 524288
> >
> > But backups are running no faster and I cannot see any indication on the
> > client of the buffer size being used. Note: client also has the new
> > binaries. In older versions of AMANDA amandad used to report buffer size,
> > but this appears to not be the case in 2.6.1p1.
>
> Hmm, I can't find that indication in any of my older logs. From what
> I can tell, because amandad just uses the handles (x)inetd gives it,
> it never sents the buffer size. From my read, there is a bit of an
> abuse of the security API when amandad calls security_accept on an
> already-connected socket (rather than the half-open connection that
> the accept() syscall expects), so I expect the easiest fix for your
> purposes is to add try_socksize calls to protocol_accept in amandad.c.
>
> Do you want to give that a try?
>
> Dustin
>
> --
> Open Source Storage Engineer
> http://www.zmanda.com

Did you know you can get Messenger on your mobile? Learn more.