Amanda-Users

RE: TCP Tuning

2009-10-20 12:16:29
Subject: RE: TCP Tuning
From: Alan Griffiths <ap_griffiths AT hotmail DOT com>
To: <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 16:58:03 +0100
Thanks for the pointer.

I've re-compiled with

define STREAM_BUFSIZE         (NETWORK_BLOCK_BYTES * 16)

And I can see that has taken effect on the server

dumper: try_socksize: send buffer size is 524288

But backups are running no faster and I cannot see any indication on the client of the buffer size being used. Note: client also has the new binaries. In older versions of AMANDA amandad used to report buffer size, but this appears to not be the case in 2.6.1p1.

Thanks,

Alan

> Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:03:21 -0400
> Subject: Re: TCP Tuning
> From: dustin AT zmanda DOT com
> To: ap_griffiths AT hotmail DOT com
> CC: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
>
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 5:33 AM, Alan Griffiths
> <ap_griffiths AT hotmail DOT com> wrote:
> > Is there a way to modify the size of the TCP buffers used by AMANDA? I am
> > trying to improve performance over a relatively high latency link and this
> > seems to be the only way.
>
> It's a source constant, unfortunately, set in stream.h (STREAM_BUFSIZE).
>
> A patch to make that configurable at compile time or, better, at
> runtime would be much appreciated!
>
> Dustin
>
> --
> Open Source Storage Engineer
> http://www.zmanda.com

Download Messenger onto your mobile for free. Learn more.