Amanda-Users

Re: Backup issues with OpenBSD 4.5 machines

2009-08-21 15:30:38
Subject: Re: Backup issues with OpenBSD 4.5 machines
From: John Hein <jhein AT timing DOT com>
To: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 13:23:29 -0600
stan wrote at 13:56 -0400 on Aug 21, 2009:
 > OK, I reproduced the failure with only a crossover cable between the test
 > client and the Amanda Master:

Just because you're using a crossover cable doesn't rule out firewall
or other such socket level interference.  I'm not saying that's your
problem, but using a crossover cable doesn't rule it out.

 > 192.168.1.2:wd0f 0  dumper: [could not connect DATA stream: can't connect
 > stream to 192.168.1.2 port 24376: Connection refused] (13:48:23)
 >
 > Note the 192.168.1.2 address :-)
 >
 > This is with a 2.5.2p1 clinet on OpenBSD 4.5 2.5.0p1 works on this same
 > machine/OS/netwrok configuration.
 >
 > So, it appears to me that this must be because of something that changed
 > between 2.5.0p1 and 2.5.2p1. And we have a pretty good idea where in the
 > code this is failing. So can anyone enlighten me as to what chaged in this
 > area between those 2 versions?

I haven't looked to see what changed between 2.5.0 and 2.5.2.  It's
all pretty basic socket stuff.  I wouldn't be surprised if that is
when the additional auth mechanisms (bsdudp, bsdtcp) were added.
However, if no one chimes in, it's not that hard to look yourself.  If
you can narrow it down a bit to where there seems to be a problem in
the code, the amanda-hackers@ list might be able to help more.