Amanda-Users

[Amanda-users] Cloud Backup...but to my own Data Center

2009-06-03 14:48:07
Subject: [Amanda-users] Cloud Backup...but to my own Data Center
From: Hopifan <amanda-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 14:39:27 -0400
Thank you for response.
To clarify, my current setup is:
about 30 remote offices with between2-50gb of data each. Each office has
Symantec BackupExec running ($700 initial cost), each server in each location
has a tape drive ($800 initial cost) and 10 tapes ($300 initial cost), so
basically to backup these 30 offices locally cost me 30x1800=$54,000 first year
+ admin overhead and time, etc. so the question is: what can I use to backup
data from these 30 offices to my central DataCenter in Wisconsin? I was doing
some testing backing up one of the offices using BackupExec over the WAN I got
200mgb/hr transfer ratio, not too good. SO I need some software with good
compression or other algorythm to pump data over the WAN, is Amanda or Zmada
the answer?

|This was sent by marek.plasota AT veoliatransportation DOT com via Backup
Central.