Amanda-Users

Re: [Amanda-users] Cloud Backup...but to my own Data Center

2009-06-03 14:23:56
Subject: Re: [Amanda-users] Cloud Backup...but to my own Data Center
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 14:14:51 -0400

Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Hopifan <amanda-forum AT backupcentral DOT
com> wrote:
Thank you guys for taking time and responding to my question. I am fine with using
dedicated server in my Datacenter for backing up my remote locations, but again what
solution/software I would use for that? Cloud Backup is so "cheap" comparing to
Data Domain which I can not afford. So what software would be the best to backup remote
offices to Central location. As I mentioned I have between 2-50 gb in each office and
each office is on T1. All locations run W2K or W2K3.

Well, you would figure that folks on this mailing list would recommend Amanda..

To expand on that just a bit -- I seem to recall he's running Netbackup on a bunch of sites, each having to change their own tapes. He's interested in redirecting those backups to a central site. Cloud Backup sounds like the idea. Data Domain is actually a product that implements Netbackup's API so that they could all point to a central storage system. However, as he says, it's probably pretty expensive.

So, the alternative is to re-implement all of those individual backup systems. Set up a centralized Amanda backup server with some very large disk arrays or a tape library (or both), and then shut down Netbackup and install Amanda client on all those remote sites. That's a lot of work (a lot of remote sites); and, ultimately he'll have to calculate some bandwidth/throughput stuff to figure out what it can handle and how much he'll be able to back up. But, if he can get it to work, the cost savings would be substantial. No expense for Data Domain and eliminate the ongoing costs of Netbackup (as well as personnel costs for changing tapes at all the remote sites). Zmanda support and enterprise editions would be substantially less.

It's possible he misunderstood things and thought that there was some way of setting up a central server and then pointing all those Netbackup instances at it.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator