Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda always doing full backup?

2009-05-14 15:45:34
Subject: Re: Amanda always doing full backup?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 15:32:02 -0400
On Thursday 14 May 2009, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Brandon Metcalf
>
><brandon AT geronimoalloys DOT com> wrote:
>> Yep, this makes sense based on the notes from the planner.  I guess
>> the only reason it would be a problem is if I'm running out of space
>> on which I stored the backups?
>
>This is one of many reasons that oversubscribing your vtapes is a
>problematic configuration.  If your vtapes are oversubscribed, you
>need to pay *very* close attention to what Amanda is doing, and make
>adjustments early, before Amanda finds a vtape with 0kb available.
>
>Dustin

Very true Dustin.  Which is why I generally take the 3/4ths rule, that of
figuring how many tapes in a tapecycle will fit in the allocated space.  In my
case a terrabyte drive, 30 vtapes so I'm set at about 30GB per vtape &
averaging less than half that.  I am not to the end of the first tapecycle
since re-starting with a new drive, and at tape 17, df says:
 /dev/sdc1  961432072 378596940 533997132  42% /amandatapes
So I may reduce the dumpcycle from 4 to 3 eventually.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Living on Earth may be expensive, but it includes an annual free trip
around the Sun.