Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda always doing full backup?

2009-05-14 15:22:35
Subject: Re: Amanda always doing full backup?
From: Jeffrey D Anderson <JDAnderson AT lbl DOT gov>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 09:35:44 -0700
On Thursday 14 May 2009 7:06:57 am Brandon Metcalf wrote:
> m == martineau AT zmanda DOT com writes:
>
>  m> Small disk are often promoted to try to get a balanced schedule.
>  m> If it is a problem, you can set the 'maxpromoteday' for this disk.
>

> Yep, this makes sense based on the notes from the planner.  I guess
> the only reason it would be a problem is if I'm running out of space
> on which I stored the backups?
>
> Also, I guess the planner will quit promoting full dumps once it does
> enough backups with the new config?

Another case where this is inconvenient is when the backups COULD fit on a
certain number of tapes, but the premature promotion of many small
filesystems makes them spill over onto the beginning of another tape.

I don't know if there is any real solution to that problem, though.  amanda
tries to balance the load evenly among the runs in each dumpcycle.  But
sometimes I'd rather she tried to keep me on a single tape, and then write
two tapes some night, rather than writing 1 1/4 tapes each night.  That would
save a lot of wear and tear on backup media.

Perhaps the solution is not in changing the planner behavior, but in taper
options.  It would be acceptible to me if amanda wrote most of the holding
disk files to tape, but elected to save some for the next night if it meant
better allocation of media.

Jeffrey Anderson                        | jdanderson AT lbl DOT gov
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory   |
Office: 50A-5104E                       | Mailstop 50A-5101
Phone: 510 486-4208                     | Fax: 510 486-6808