Amanda-Users

Re: Backing up to CDR

2009-05-11 14:56:30
Subject: Re: Backing up to CDR
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 14:46:23 -0400
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
wrote:
> Most backup sessions result in outputs that would handily exceed the 700mb of
> a cdr, so it would be a nice coding exercise but far more expensive than a
> commodity hard drive.  Mine even exceed a dual layer dvd, so I've never made
> the investment in the disks to try it.  Other situations might be more
> amenable I suppose, but the utility of truly archival storage and cdr in the
> same sentence would seem to be an oxymoron since some cd formats go away well
> before their time.

If you want to put your vtapes onto CDRs, you use 700mb vtapes, and
set runtapes > 1.

I'm sure folks looking for truly archival storage know the
implications of their choice of media.  A CDR is certainly portable,
and will not be unreadable within the next year or two.  Heck, I can
still read 3.5" floppies..

Dustin

--
Open Source Storage Engineer