Amanda-Users

Re: Backing up to CDR

2009-05-11 14:12:27
Subject: Re: Backing up to CDR
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 13:03:55 -0500
Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Matt Burkhardt <mlb AT imparisystems DOT
> com> wrote:
>> I'm doing some pro bono work for our local Boys and Girls Club and
>> helping them set up a server.  We're using Amanda for a backup and
>> trying to back everything up to a CDR.  I thought there was a device for
>> it or a cdrtaper utility or something.  I've tried googling it, but no
>> luck and was hoping someone might know...
>
> I think you're looking for this:
>   http://www.tivano.de/software/amanda/Installation.shtml
>
> I *seriously* doubt the thing works anymore, though.  I contacted the
> authors a while back to see if they were interested in writing a
> "CD-RW Device" and the answer was not quite "NO", but I doubt there's
> been any work done.
>
> This would be a good project for someone with a bit of familiarity with C.
>
> Dustin

If that code no longer works, one option might be to back up to suitably
sized vtapes, and periodically burn your vtapes to CD.  In order to
make the restores simpler, perhaps after burning to CD (and verifying
the copy) you could make the vtape a symlink to your CD drive.
  I've never tried doing this, so it might not be as simple as I
imagine it.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673