Amanda-Users

Re: Backing up to CDR

2009-05-11 17:08:44
Subject: Re: Backing up to CDR
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 16:58:52 -0400
On Monday 11 May 2009, Charles Curley wrote:
>On Mon, 11 May 2009 14:17:37 -0400
>
>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net> wrote:
>> On Monday 11 May 2009, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>> >On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Matt Burkhardt
>> ><mlb AT imparisystems DOT com>

>> >I think you're looking for this:
>> >  http://www.tivano.de/software/amanda/Installation.shtml
>> >
>> >I *seriously* doubt the thing works anymore, though.  I contacted the
>> >authors a while back to see if they were interested in writing a
>> >"CD-RW Device" and the answer was not quite "NO", but I doubt there's
>> >been any work done.
>> >
>> >This would be a good project for someone with a bit of familiarity
>> >with C.
>> >
>> >Dustin
>>
>> Most backup sessions result in outputs that would handily exceed the
>> 700mb of a cdr, so it would be a nice coding exercise but far more
>> expensive than a commodity hard drive.  Mine even exceed a dual layer
>> dvd, so I've never made the investment in the disks to try it.
>
>How about a blu-ray disk? I see burners and media are coming down in
>price. "Be the first kid on your block to see your /etc/passwd in HD!"

Maybe for 'braggin rights' Charles.  But when dealing with data that is often
regenerated by the repetition of the backup runs, non volatile and offline
(removable) storage=money in the form of on-going expense for the media used.
I would much rather spend $125 at Staples for one big commodity drive, than
5k$+ for a juke box/library, and another 3k$ for tapes to fill it up. All for
roughly the same real world dependability as that pricey library.  Need more
redundancy? Buy 4 more drives & make a big raid out of them, with one hot
spare it will put into service with no more than an email to the admin telling
him drive so and so is offline because it failed.  Amanda won't know or care.
And you still have far less $ in the system.  The only thing you don't have is
the ready ability to take the tapes off-site for fire security.

You don't happen to have a brother/uncle named Merv do you?

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Your sister swims out to meet troop ships.