Amanda-Users

Re: Backing up to CDR

2009-05-11 14:26:23
Subject: Re: Backing up to CDR
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 14:17:37 -0400
wrote:
>> I'm doing some pro bono work for our local Boys and Girls Club and
>> helping them set up a server.  We're using Amanda for a backup and
>> trying to back everything up to a CDR.  I thought there was a device for
>> it or a cdrtaper utility or something.  I've tried googling it, but no
>> luck and was hoping someone might know...
>
>I think you're looking for this:
>  http://www.tivano.de/software/amanda/Installation.shtml
>
>I *seriously* doubt the thing works anymore, though.  I contacted the
>authors a while back to see if they were interested in writing a
>"CD-RW Device" and the answer was not quite "NO", but I doubt there's
>been any work done.
>
>This would be a good project for someone with a bit of familiarity with C.
>
>Dustin

Most backup sessions result in outputs that would handily exceed the 700mb of
a cdr, so it would be a nice coding exercise but far more expensive than a
commodity hard drive.  Mine even exceed a dual layer dvd, so I've never made
the investment in the disks to try it.  Other situations might be more
amenable I suppose, but the utility of truly archival storage and cdr in the
same sentence would seem to be an oxymoron since some cd formats go away well
before their time.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
If we suffer tamely a lawless attack upon our liberty, we encourage it,
and involve others in our doom.
                -- Samuel Adams