Amanda-Users

Re: 2.6.2alpha-20090206 snapshot, total failure

2009-02-08 00:07:19
Subject: Re: 2.6.2alpha-20090206 snapshot, total failure
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 00:00:11 -0500
On Saturday 07 February 2009, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
wrote:
>> If this is automatic now, and moved to the amanda.conf, how exactly is
>> that to be specified in ones own amanda.conf?
>
>The tape device is specified with the amanda.conf parameter named 'tapedev'.
>
>I still can't find where this amanda_changer thing came from -- the
>only use of amanda_changer I can find in any of my logs is an email
>exchange with you wherein I mistyped "amrecover_changer" as
>"amanda_changer".

>Did you somehow translate this into a comment in
>your amanda.conf?

I don't recall, but since its the same, it could be how it got there.

/usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/amanda.conf:tapedev
"file:/amandatapes/Dailys/"

And it worked as expected.

FWIW, uppercasing 'file' as is shown here and there in the examples, is also
an error.  From this snapshots example directory:

amanda-client.conf:tapedev      "FILE:/amandatapes"     # your tape device
amanda.conf:tapedev "FILE:/amandatapes" # the no-rewind tape device to be used
chg-mcutil.conf:tape FILE:/amandatapes  # use ntape for norewind
Makefile:DEFAULT_TAPE_DEVICE = FILE:/amandatapes
Makefile:EXAMPLE_TAPEDEV = FILE:/amandatapes

So there are 5 places where example usage and working usage are at odds.
If I change it to FILE: in my amanda.conf, and

[amanda@coyote example]$ amcheck Daily
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /dumps: 362221568 kB disk space available, using 361709568 kB
Changer problem: Fatal error from changer script: <none> Virtual-tape
directory FILE:/amandatapes/Dailys/ does not exist.
       (expecting tape Dailys-4 or a new tape)
Server check took 0.853 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 1 host checked in 1.044 seconds.  0 problems found.

(brought to you by Amanda 2.6.2alpha-20090206)

Note that it also says 0 problems found.  But the run will abort quickly and
leave nothing in the holding disk, and will send me an empty email report,
everything is zero.

My .configure driver script does use the uppercase, always has:
        --with-tape-device="FILE:/amandatapes" \
So why the uppercase in amanda.conf is an error, I'll leave you with that
conundrum.   One of those things that make one go hummmmm. :-)

Thanks Dustin.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
River (startling Jayne, jumping up from unconsciousness): "Copper for a kiss?"
                                --Episode #9, "Ariel"