Amanda-Users

Re: 2.6.2alpha-20090206 snapshot, total failure

2009-02-07 08:47:52
Subject: Re: 2.6.2alpha-20090206 snapshot, total failure
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 08:41:55 -0500
On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 6:05 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
wrote:
> In going through amanda.conf, I found a note
>
> tpchanger      "chg-disk"      # deprecated, use amanda_changer now.
> #amanda_changer  "chg-disk"

A quick grep has me baffled as to where this came from.  I can find no
mention of 'amanda_changer' in the codebase.  Is this from the example
amanda.conf, or your own amanda.conf?

> which would be nice if it worked, but amcheck says otherwise:
> "/usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/amanda.conf", line 110: configuration keyword
> expected
> amcheck: errors processing config file
>
> The point is, that an invocation of amcheck did not warn about this
> miss-configuration, returning no errors.  Has the canary died?

>From the above output, it looks like amcheck *did* warn about this
misconfigurtion and return an error.

> Also, looking through the ./configure --help output, it appears I should be
> using this syntax:
>
> --with-tape-device=DEVICE
> instead of the older
>        --with-tapedev="FILE:/amandatapes" \
> So, should I rebuild it again, using this syntax
> --with-tape-device="FILE:/amandatapes" \
>
> I think I will before I run it again.  That was not reported as an error.

Neither of these is necessary (well, one doesn't do anything, and the
*other* isn't necessary).  They just set the default tapedev in case
you don't specify one in amanda.conf.  There were a number of
parameters that were once given as configure options, and later moved
to the configuration file, presumably as times changed and admins
started using binary packages instead of building software on their
own.

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer