Amanda-Users

Re: 2.6.2alpha-20090206 snapshot, total failure

2009-02-07 15:40:56
Subject: Re: 2.6.2alpha-20090206 snapshot, total failure
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 15:34:11 -0500
On Saturday 07 February 2009, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 6:05 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
wrote:
>> In going through amanda.conf, I found a note
>>
>> tpchanger      "chg-disk"      # deprecated, use amanda_changer now.
>> #amanda_changer  "chg-disk"
>
>A quick grep has me baffled as to where this came from.  I can find no
>mention of 'amanda_changer' in the codebase.  Is this from the example
>amanda.conf, or your own amanda.conf?

My own amanda.conf, which I copied to mine and reinserted my stuff from the
old one about a year ago, just so I would have somewhat uptodate comments to
guide me.

>> which would be nice if it worked, but amcheck says otherwise:
>> "/usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/amanda.conf", line 110: configuration keyword
>> expected
>> amcheck: errors processing config file
>>
>> The point is, that an invocation of amcheck did not warn about this
>> miss-configuration, returning no errors.  Has the canary died?

>misconfigurtion and return an error.

That was after I'd edited it to use that comments choice.  Sorry.

>> Also, looking through the ./configure --help output, it appears I should
>> be using this syntax:
>>
>> --with-tape-device=DEVICE
>> instead of the older
>>        --with-tapedev="FILE:/amandatapes" \
>> So, should I rebuild it again, using this syntax
>> --with-tape-device="FILE:/amandatapes" \
>>
>> I think I will before I run it again.  That was not reported as an error.
>
>Neither of these is necessary (well, one doesn't do anything, and the
>*other* isn't necessary).  They just set the default tapedev in case
>you don't specify one in amanda.conf.  There were a number of
>parameters that were once given as configure options, and later moved
>to the configuration file, presumably as times changed and admins
>started using binary packages instead of building software on their
>own.

Grrrr.

>Dustin
Ok, I took a nap, or went back to get enough sleep.  I have now re-instated
the
tpchanger      "chg-disk"      # deprecated, use amanda_changer now.
and rebuilt amanda-2.6.2-20090206 using this line in the config driver script:
 --with-tape-device="FILE:/amandatapes" \

and amcheck appears to be happy.  ./backup.sh Daily is now running to test it.
And, later, it worked ok.

When I had built it without that, the amcheck error then was in line 112,

 complaining that /amandatapes/Dailys did not exist, so apparently
the --with-tape-device= is a required argument to the configure script.

If this is automatic now, and moved to the amanda.conf, how exactly is that to
be specified in ones own amanda.conf?

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
God grant me the senility to accept the things I cannot change,
The frustration to try to change things I cannot affect,
and the wisdom to tell the difference.