Amanda-Users

Re: amreport: ERROR unexpected log line: ...

2008-06-26 11:08:56
Subject: Re: amreport: ERROR unexpected log line: ...
From: Jukka Salmi <j+amanda AT 2008.salmi DOT ch>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 17:02:55 +0200
Dustin J. Mitchell --> amanda-users (2008-06-26 10:11:54 -0400):
[...]
> Unfortunately, that file is basically the intermingled freeform stderr
> of just about every process spawned by amdump/amflush, so there's no
> single interface through which we can funnel all notifications.  The
> long-term plan is to replace the whole "fleet" of Amanda processes
> with a single process, using the transfer architecture to juggle
> multiple concurrent data transfers.  Your suggestion seems a good
> short-term fix.  I don't have any immediate ideas for a mid-term fix,
> but I'm open to suggestions.

What about using record locking on a file in the logdir (maybe on the
logfile itself)? I.e. making sure that all involved processes always
acquire an exclusive lock, then write the log and afterwards release
the lock?

> It's interesting that we haven't seen this happen more often.

Indeed.

> Do you want to send along a patch?

Maybe I'll find some time next week to have a look at it. But first
let's decide on how to fix it ;-)

Regards, Jukka

--
bashian roulette: