Amanda-Users

trouble with AIX clients and Linux server

2008-05-21 14:14:36
Subject: trouble with AIX clients and Linux server
From: "Freels, James D." <freelsjd AT ornl DOT gov>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 14:07:46 -0400
We have a linux amanda server that is working fine for linux boxes
connected as clients.  However, we are trying to connect two additional
IBM AIX clients to this server, and having difficulty.  One AIX client
is at version 5.2 of AIX, while the second is at version 5.3 of AIX.
Both AIX clients are running Amanda 2.4.2p2 and gnutar 1.20 (yes, the
new version, freshly installed).

The linux amanda server is running debian/stable/etch on an amd64 and
services several debian/stable/etch clients and ubuntu/hardy-8.04
clients.  The server is running amanda 2.5.1p3-2.

We have the system set up as best as possible with the amcheck yielding
no error messages.   However, when we run the amdump on the AIX clients
(any of the filesystems) we get a set of error message on the printed
output typical as follows:

aixclient  hd3      lev 0  FAILED [missing size line from sendbackup]

.
.
.

FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:

/--  aixclient hd3 lev 0 FAILED [missing size line from sendbackup]
sendbackup: start [aixclient:hd3 level 0]
sendbackup: info BACKUP=/usr/bin/gtar
sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/usr/bin/gtar -f... -
sendbackup: info end
| gtar: ./.X11-unix/X0: socket ignored
| Total bytes written: 1730560 (1.7MiB, 830KiB/s)
??sendbackup: could not unlock /etc/amandates: Bad file number
? dumper: strange [missing size line from sendbackup]
\--------

In trying to get this working, we have left the /etc/amandates file on
the AIX client completely unprotected

-rwxrwxrwx   1 amanda   system         1216 May 19 15:43 /etc/amandates

We are puzzled as to how to fix this problem and would appreciate any
and all helpful information.

James D. Freels, Ph.D.
Senior Research Staff
High Flux Isotope Reactor