Amanda-Users

Re: amrecove does not connect

2007-11-27 17:09:12
Subject: Re: amrecove does not connect
From: Charles Stroom <charles AT stremen.xs4all DOT nl>
To: Charles Stroom <charles AT stremen.xs4all DOT nl>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:12:34 +0100
On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 10:53:20 +0100
Charles Stroom <charles AT stremen.xs4all DOT nl> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:11:35 +0100
> Marc Muehlfeld <Marc.Muehlfeld AT medizinische-genetik DOT de> wrote:
>

> > Must a user root added somewhere?   [in the xinet.d files]
> >
> > No. Amanda runs as user. You configured amandabackup:disk for this.
> >

> But this is what I don't understand.  Amanda backup runs as user
>  "amandabackup", but amrecover must run as root!  I do not fully
> understand the xinet workings, but I suppose that it specifies that
> services (like amindexd) start running if the right user requests its
> service. But in the 3 xinet.d files (included in my first email),
> "root" is not specified as one of the users of the amanda services
> "amanda", "amandaidx" and "amidxtape".
> If I do an "amrecover", and, while it times-out, I do an ps -ef |
> grep am, I do not see any of these amanda services coming up.
>
> Regards,
>
> Charles

I correct myself, the "user" in the xinetd.d files has nothing to do
with the user requesting the service, but is the user which runs the
service when requested.  Mea culpa.

In the mean time, I have recovered my files straight from the tape
without using amrestore.  So, for now I am OK.  Hoewever, amrestore is
still not working!

Regards,

--
Charles Stroom