Amanda-Users

Re: amrecove does not connect

2007-11-27 10:23:35
Subject: Re: amrecove does not connect
From: Marc Muehlfeld <Marc.Muehlfeld AT medizinische-genetik DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:17:03 +0100
Charles Stroom schrieb:
Must a user root added somewhere?

No. Amanda runs as user. You configured amandabackup:disk for this.

But this is what I don't understand.  Amanda backup runs as user
 "amandabackup", but amrecover must run as root!

You have to run amrecover as root, to make sure, that not everybody who has a shell account can connect to your backup server and restore files. But the services on your backup server run as $USER/$GROUP. Programs on the server that have to run with root privileges by $USER are set suid.

> I do not fully understand
the xinet workings, but I suppose that it specifies that services
(like amindexd) start running if the right user requests its service.

When somebody connect to one of the xinetd ports, then xinetd start the configured program. If no one is connected, you will see no amanda processes running in your ps output. But if, then you will.

If I do an "amrecover", and, while it times-out, I do an ps -ef | grep am, I
do not see any of these amanda services coming up.

If you don't see any processes (ps) or connection (netstat) on your server, then I guess, the client can't reach the server out of any reasons. Maybe a firewall issue on your client or on a firewall between the machines, that don't allow the connection to your server. Also it could be a name resolution problem and the client doesn't or does wrong resolve your servers name.

You can check the amrecover.*.debug logfiles on you client for additional information, too.

Marc

--
Marc Muehlfeld (Leitung Systemadministration)
Zentrum fuer Humangenetik und Laboratoriumsmedizin Dr. Klein und Dr. Rost