Amanda-Users

Re: Changing the from address in reports

2007-11-11 00:01:59
Subject: Re: Changing the from address in reports
From: Dan Brown <monkeypants AT shaw DOT ca>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:51:33 -0600
Chris Hoogendyk wrote:
> Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>> On 11/10/07, Dan Brown <monkeypants AT shaw DOT ca> wrote:
>>
>>> [email protected] is getting caught up by our spam filter for
>>> obvious reasons.  Is there somewhere within the amanda config I can set
>>> this or is this something I have to tell the mail system to forcefully
>>> add a domain/hostname onto for outgoing mail?
>>>

>> At present, no, there is no provision for this in the Amanda
>> configuration.  However, it would be a fairly straightforward piece of
>> functionality to add to server-src/reporter.c, with a corresponding
>> new configuration option in common-src/conffile.[ch].
>>
>> Dan, do you want to give it a shot?  Anyone else?
>
> On the other hand, what the mail comes from is all controlled by your
> mail configuration and host files on the backup server. I have a
> separate mail server that is the only server that can receive mail. My
> other servers are configured to not be able to receive mail, and to
> relay mail through the mail server. The mail server, in turn, whitelists
> my other servers. I'm on Solaris 9, and the Sun guide to the secure
> configuration of Solaris 9 has a section on configuring Sendmail when
> you're not a mail server. It uses m4, so you aren't just dipping into
> sendmail.cf.

While the idea of doing a custom patch on Amanda to force it to send
from <backupuser>@<my.hostname.com>.  I don't think I've touched C in
about 7 years so it would probably take a week or two to get it just
right. :P
This backup server is brand new, along with seven other servers I've
setup and configured in the last two months, and I came to realize a
little after sending my original message that I missed putting my usual
MTA on here (exim) and had the default MTA (sendmail).  So I've now got
it working as I'd like.

Now for my next questions. :P

---
Dan Brown