Amanda-Users

Re: Changing the from address in reports

2007-11-10 17:06:33
Subject: Re: Changing the from address in reports
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Dan Brown <monkeypants AT shaw DOT ca>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 15:58:44 -0600
Dan Brown wrote:
> I would like my Amanda backup reports to mail out to a non-local
> address.  Currently when I get them, they come from
> [email protected] so they don't even have the hostname of the
> backup server associated with it.  I've used Amanda for quite a while to
> backup a number of servers and am currently using 2.5.2p1 but up until
> recently I just had reports delivered to the local amanda user.
>
> [email protected] is getting caught up by our spam filter for
> obvious reasons.  Is there somewhere within the amanda config I can set
> this or is this something I have to tell the mail system to forcefully
> add a domain/hostname onto for outgoing mail?

Your mail system is already adding  "@hostname.domainname" to it.  The
email is just from your backup username without anything being added.
   Most likely you are running a Linux distro, as many of those by
default (incorrectly, in my opinion) set up the system  to be
localhost.localdomain, and also usually add that name to the loopback
address as well, if you don't provide the real names during install,
or do a default 'don't ask any questions' install.
   If you try sending mail from the command line as any user you will
see the same result.

Ways to fix it:
If your system uses /etc/mailname, have that contain the fully-qualified
name of your system (i.e., myhost.example.com) and that should solve
your problem.
Look for all occurrences of localhost.localdomain in your various system
configuration files and replace them with the proper name.  This can
help you in the future with other programs that need to know where they
are running in order to work correctly (mailers, backup software,
automated CM tools, SW with host-based licenses, etc.).

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673