Amanda-Users

Re: Changing the from address in reports

2007-11-10 19:17:48
Subject: Re: Changing the from address in reports
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 19:11:41 -0500

Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
On 11/10/07, Dan Brown <monkeypants AT shaw DOT ca> wrote:
[email protected] is getting caught up by our spam filter for
obvious reasons.  Is there somewhere within the amanda config I can set
this or is this something I have to tell the mail system to forcefully
add a domain/hostname onto for outgoing mail?

At present, no, there is no provision for this in the Amanda
configuration.  However, it would be a fairly straightforward piece of
functionality to add to server-src/reporter.c, with a corresponding
new configuration option in common-src/conffile.[ch].

Dan, do you want to give it a shot?  Anyone else?

On the other hand, what the mail comes from is all controlled by your mail configuration and host files on the backup server. I have a separate mail server that is the only server that can receive mail. My other servers are configured to not be able to receive mail, and to relay mail through the mail server. The mail server, in turn, whitelists my other servers. I'm on Solaris 9, and the Sun guide to the secure configuration of Solaris 9 has a section on configuring Sendmail when you're not a mail server. It uses m4, so you aren't just dipping into sendmail.cf.

If you are trying to fix something after a server has been configured, and you aren't sure where all the occurrences of something are, I've found places where configuration remnants are hidden by doing this:

# find /etc -type f | xargs grep 'localhost'

where, in this case, the 'localhost' is the thing you are looking for. The `-type f` keeps your find from getting lost down device trees and worm holes and such. Then, of course, you have to figure out what that particular file is for and how to configure it properly for what you want. man pages & google and all that.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center