Amanda-Users

calcsize estimate takes too long

2007-11-05 22:03:36
Subject: calcsize estimate takes too long
From: fedora <zuki AT abamon DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 18:58:29 -0800 (PST)
hi guys,

A bit confused with calcsize estimate method. I have setup calcsize to do
estimate on one of my client. I have separated out /home to 6 DLEs which 2
of them has 7GB and 5GB respectively. The rest was small one. Before I
migrate my amanda server to new machine I can do backup but after migration
I cannot do backup for all DLEs of /home. The estimation was too long for
all. Lastly all estimate timed out. If I commented out the 2 DLEs (bigger)
then I can backup.

What I was wondering is how come I can do backup for database (32GB) even
using default estimate which is "client estimate" compare to the 2 DLEs
(only 12GB total + using calcsize). As I know the calcsize estimate do a
faster estimate rather than client estimate. Correct me if I was wrong and
please advice.