Amanda-Users

Re: calcsize estimate takes too long

2007-11-07 09:46:18
Subject: Re: calcsize estimate takes too long
From: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: fedora <zuki AT abamon DOT com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 15:40:37 +0100
On 2007-11-07 03:05, fedora wrote:
You are right guys. In the that directory got thousands of txt files. I did
increased etimeout and dtimeout up to 7200 but amanda still cannot do
estimate. Do I need to increase it more? I think it is not suitable for me
if I set the estimate to "server" because my disk usage changes from day to
day for that DLE and it would not accurate. Does amanda has any other
solutions on this kind of situation?

The consequences of the estimates not being accurate is that your tape
may be too small, or that amanda did not schedule more backups.

It all depends....

When the error 50 Gbyte off, but you normally
fill your 200 Gbyte tape to about 120 Gbyte, then there is no problem.

However, when the amanda estimates 100 Mbyte too small, and Amanda
was planning to fill the tape to 100%, then you have a problem, and
the last few backups will remain on holdingdisk, to be flushed in a
separate run or autoflushed on the next run.
How bad that is again depends on the situation.  Sometimes one
large dump image starting at 30% of the tape did not fit.  That image
will be needed to dump all over again on the next run.  You can avoid
that by splitting large dumps into a few smaller ones.

As, said, it all depends...

That said, you can also try to find out why the estimate is taking
so long. Are your disks too slow for such filesystem?  Or maybe
just mounting them with "noatime" option can seriously speed up some
processes as well.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *