Amanda-Users

question about taper/planner sequencing

2007-11-05 14:49:10
Subject: question about taper/planner sequencing
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: AMANDA users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 14:40:33 -0500
To some extent, this is just a curiosity question. I was asked this, because the Amanda Mail reports go to all the department sysadmins so that they can be aware and keep an eye on things if I'm gone. Anyway, on weekends, I use the -o configuration override to point amdump to a non-existent tape at /dev/rmt/0n. Amanda responds by doing incrementals to the holding disk and then flushing that to tape when the monday backups run.

So, the output on weekends starts with "A Tape Error Occured", which I have told them to ignore (on Sunday morning and on Monday morning). Then it gives the statistics and the notes. The statistics are exactly what I want and expect. The notes start with the taper error, and then go on with a bunch of lines saying that planner is promoting some full dumps.

The question is, "why does the planner go on about promoting full dumps, when taper already knows there is no tape?"

I'm guessing the planner goes through a bunch of initial phase estimation and planning before it applies some kind of final decision making algorithm. But I'm just waving both arms in the air. Can anyone say whether that's a reasonable description? Or whether there might be some shorter path the planner can take to the decision to run incrementals only, without making the rest of the code end up looking more kludgy? I recognize that this is a special case and doesn't warrant priority over the more general case when they are weighed in the balance.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center