Amanda-Users

Re: amstatus: no estimate and disk was stranded on waitq

2007-07-26 17:31:21
Subject: Re: amstatus: no estimate and disk was stranded on waitq
From: "Marc Muehlfeld" <Marc.Muehlfeld AT medizinische-genetik DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 23:21:30 +0200 (CEST)
fedora schrieb:

> Actually I am using tapeless. I made HDD as virtual tape (tapetype
> HARD-DISK). The tape was writable (drwxrwx---), I think it could be broken
>  tape because I found "slot 13: not an amanda tape (Read 0 bytes)" when
> amcheck. How do I recover the broken tape or have to recreate a new tape?

Label the tape again.

> I cant run amflush and it sent me email as error like this "*** A TAPE
> ERROR
> OCCURRED: [No writable valid tape found]"

Then you need one more writeable tape.

> here is my amanda.conf settings: runtapes 1 use 60000 Mb (holdingdisk) of
> 1.1T HDD. I don't think the compression size is bigger than tape. Can u
> guys suggest me what should I do? Run multiple tapes with splitting? I've
> no idea how to do splitting. Pls advice.
>
> here is my amanda.conf settings:
> dumpcycle 14 days
> #runspercycle 20 (commented)
> tapecycle 14 tapes
> bumpsize 20 Mb
> maxdumpsize -1

First of all you should have more (v)tapes. If you haven't set
runspercycle, then it's the same than dumpcycle. Also you have 14 tapes in
rotation. That's not a good idea. Maybe one dump doesn't fit on one tape
or you do a not planed backup. Then you have the problem that amanda don't
have a writable tape, because she had to overwrite one out of the
dumpcycle. Allways have more tapes than you require for your regular
backup plan. I suggest for your current configuration at least
tapecycle=17 tapes. Just to have some tapes left.

To configure splitting, you have at first to set runtapes>1 and then you
have to configure tape_splitsize for your (global) dumptype. Here I use
60GB vtapes and a splitsize of 3072M.

Marc

--
Marc Muehlfeld (Leitung Systemadministration)
Zentrum fuer Humangenetik und Laboratoriumsmedizin Dr. Klein und Dr. Rost