Amanda-Users

Re: amstatus: no estimate and disk was stranded on waitq

2007-07-26 06:21:09
Subject: Re: amstatus: no estimate and disk was stranded on waitq
From: fedora <zuki AT abamon DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 03:10:40 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

>There was no tape in your drive/changer or it was not writeable (write
>protected, broken tape, no tape with valid label,...)

Actually I am using tapeless. I made HDD as virtual tape (tapetype
HARD-DISK). The tape was writable (drwxrwx---), I think it could be broken
tape. How do we know the tape is broken or not? Do I need to delete the
broken tape and do amlabel again if the tape broken?

> If the folder isn't empty, you have to run amflush, if you want to have
> your
> data on tape.

If I run amflush, would it same integrity with actual files in client? Why
does it remains in holding disk? Is it because it can't  writing to tape?

>Amanda can't do a full dump on your tape, because of to less space. And
>without having a full dump, Amanda can't do an incremental dump. This could
>happen if you only use one tape and the estimated size is compressed (if
you
>use compression) bigger than your tape. Or you use more tapes and you don't
>use splitting, ...

here is my amanda.conf settings:
runtapes 1
use 60000 Mb (holdingdisk) of 1.1T HDD
I don't think the compression size is bigger than tape. Can u guys suggest
me what should I do? Run multiple tapes with splitting? I've no idea how to
do splitting. Pls advice.

>Seams you have too less tapes configured for one dumpcycle. Dumpcycle is
the
>number of of days in a backup cycle (e.g. one week). Amanda tries to do a
full
>backup at least this often (e.g. once per week). When you have e.g.
>runspercycle=7 (how often you let amanda do amdump in dumpcycle) and a
>tapecycle of 6, then amanda had to overwrite the first tape again to do the
>backup on the last day. And this is what the message means. You can't
>overwrite the tape, because you could never do a restore then, because of
the
>overwritten first tape. Amanda prevent you doing that.

># man amanda.conf
>- > tapecycle
>This is calculated by multiplying the number of amdump runs per dump cycle
>(runspercycle parameter) times the number of tapes used per run (runtapes
>parameter). Typically two to four times this calculated number of tapes are
in
>rotation.

here is my amanda.conf settings:
dumpcycle 14 days
#runspercycle 20 (commented)
tapecycle 14 tapes
bumpsize 20 Mb
maxdumpsize -1

>Somethings wrong with your changer. :-) Any more information?

here is my amanda.conf settings:
tapedev "/dev/null"
tpchanger "chg-multi"
#changerfile "/usr/local/etc/amanda/DailySet1/changer" (commented)
#changerfile "/usr/local/etc/amanda/DailySet1/changer-status" (commented)
changerfile "/usr/local/etc/amanda/DailySet1/changer.conf"
#changerdev "/dev/null" (commented)

>Amanda clients running? Firewalls? Any messages inside the logs?

No error in logfiles. Amanda client is running checking by netstat -auv and
/etc/initd/xinetd status. I didn't change the firewall. I think if firewall
is blocked I will be return failed or missing in dump summary. However the
dumper stats has value.  May I know in this situation is the backup
successfull?

DUMP SUMMARY:
                                       DUMPER STATS               TAPER
STATS
HOSTNAME     DISK        L ORIG-MB  OUT-MB  COMP%  MMM:SS   KB/s MMM:SS
KB/s
doamin1 -/lib/mysql 1    5782    1307   22.6  651:09   34.3   N/A    N/A
domain2 -/lib/mysql 1       0       0   10.0    0:01    1.1   N/A    N/A

Any helps would be appreciated.